Read below to find out the legislation to which we comply. We update our training and information regularly to reflect any changes to the laws and regulations regarding smoke alarms, gas and electrical safety and compliance.
Gas safety & compliance obligations are set to significantly increase for Victorian landlords if the draft changes to the Residential Tenancy Act 1997 (Vic) become law, as is expected on or before January 1, 2021
As a Landlord, you have a duty of care to your tenants that, under the proposed changes to the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic), shall include completing regular safety checks of various services including gas and electrical services at your property by a properly qualified professional.
A gas safety check is more than just a carbon monoxide test and is not just an appliance service. A gas safety check includes the service and testing of all gas installations and fittings within the property.
Under the new regulations, effective 1 January 2021:
- The rental provider must ensure a gas safety check of all gas installations and fittings is conducted every 2 years by a licensed or registered gasfitter. (The gasfitter will require a license/registration for ‘Type A Servicing’)
- The rental provider must provide the renter with the date of the most recent safety check upon request.
- If a gas safety check has not been conducted within the last 2 years the rental provider must arrange one as soon as practicable upon a renter occupying the premises.
A record of a gas safety check must include the following information:
- The name of the licensed or registered gasfitter who conducted the check.
- The licence or registration number of the licensed or registered gasfitter who conducted the check.
- The date the check was conducted.
- The results of the check, including any repairs that were required and actions taken to address the repair.